This is Sadie, and she is a dachshund that enjoys “burrowing” in blankets! Submitted by Annie R.
10 Facts About Dachshunds…
1) Dachshunds belong to the “hound” family of dogs, the smallest breed in that group, which is why some argue that they should be classified under the “terrier” group.
2) Today’s Dachshunds were originally bred to hunt small animals, and the name “Dachshund” is German and literally translates to “badger dog.”
3) Dachshunds are one of the Top 10 most popular breeds in the United States.
4) They are generally known to be very loyal to their owners, but standoffish and/or mistrustful of strangers.
5) Some experts have theorized and some evidence suggests that the early roots of the Dachshund breed go back to ancient Egypt. But the true origin of the breed is in dispute.
6) The breed is known to have as many as 12 (some say 15) different colors, and the coats can be smooth, long, or wire-haired.
7) Dachshunds generally come in three different sizes. Most are familiar with the miniature Dachshund at about 11-pounds, but it was the 32-pound standard size that got the name “badger dog.”
8) The third size is in between miniature and standard, generally around 12 to 18 pounds, and they are sometimes called “rabbit dachshunds” because they were bred to hunt rabbits and hares.
9) The Dachshund breed has a comparatively long life-span, with dogs often reaching their late teens.
10) They like to jump. It is suggested that owners hold them tight in their arms because they will often want to jump down, which can cause injuries to their long backs.